I am buying a house – do I need a survey?

It is strongly advisable to invest in an Identification Survey to protect one of your largest investment decisions. Many financial institutions will also insist on a current Identification Survey before lending money to purchase real estate.

I want to subdivide my property – what are the steps?

The subdivision of land is a complex matter that involves many steps. As a general guide you will need to do the following:

Arrange a contour and detail survey (also known as a topographic survey or digital terrain model) over which the new boundaries can be drawn.

The proposed new layout will need to meet the requirements of council and various State/Commonwealth Government planning regulations. These issues include minimum lot size, setbacks for bushfire protection, archaeological assessments and fauna/flora assessments.

The various supporting reports from our sub-consultants are then prepared to support a Development Application, which is prepared by Bannister & Hunter.

Council then issues a Development Consent with conditions. All civil works such as roads, drainage, water, sewer, power and communication systems then need to be designed and approved by the authorities before construction works are done. Once construction of those works is completed and all other conditions are satisfied, the Plan of Subdivision is lodged with Council for certification. The plan is then registered and new Certificates of Title are issued.

I want to change the fencing on our land – what type of survey do I need?

A boundary peg-out will provide you with marks to set your fencing out to.

Is it cheaper to have an Identification Survey and a Boundary Survey done together?

Combining these surveys will result in cost savings, as the survey party will only need to travel to your property once. Whilst on site, they will only have to establish the boundaries once for both types of surveys.